If you are considering a bathroom remodel before you sell, there is one term to keep in mind: spa experience.
Today’s buyers are looking for bathrooms that are not only utilitarian, but quite luxurious as well. They are looking for a respite, a place to wind down, re-energize and pamper themselves. In short, they want a spa experience at home.
Here are some thoughts to consider when remodeling your bathroom:
- If you are short on cash, put most of your money into your master bathroom, as most buyers will place more importance on the master bathroom than other bathrooms in the home.
- Think about adding a piece de resistance in the bathroom. In other words, if you are remodeling a typical bathroom, take it from bland and boring to impressive by installing a steam shower or a jetted tub, for example.
- Think outside the box and add features that will be quickly noticed by buyers. For example, you may want to install a skylight or use decorative tiles across the wall.
- Although you may want to design your bathroom to suit your individual tastes, if you are remodeling to sell your home, then you need to think like a buyer. In other words, try to appeal to the widest audience as possible when designing your bathroom. We recently listed a 20 year old home for sale in Marietta and sold it in less than 1 week, the bathrooms and kitchen had been tastefully updated. We had a buyer that preferred a neutral travertine tile, showed them the home the day we listed it, and were under contract in less than a week.
- Don’t over-remodel your bathroom. Pay close attention to the bathrooms of recently sold or listed homes in your neighborhood, as well as the listing/selling price of those homes before setting your bathroom remodel budget. The overall goal of remodeling your bathroom should be to make more money and sell your home quickly, so keep this in mind before you begin pricing yourself right out of the neighborhood.
- Ask for a Realtor’s advice. In the end, sometimes it makes sense to remodel your bathroom; other times, it simply does not. Your professional Atlanta real estate agent will be able to give you a good idea of how to proceed.
- Some of the newest features in today’s bathrooms include jetted or garden tubs, steam showers, towel warming drawers or bars, his and her vanities/sinks, radiant heat flooring, flat-screen televisions, sound systems, smart storage, and multiple/luxury shower heads.
Finally, think green and your buyers will appreciate you for it. Think in terms of environmentally friendly products and green building products when remodeling your bathroom, and then market it as such when selling your home.